Hamilton law firm, John Jackson & Dick, has expanded operations in more ways than one.
As well as taking on two new solicitors, it has almost doubled its office space with the acquisition of their downstairs neighbour’s property – the former Royal Bank of Scotland branch office at 50 Cadzow Street, Hamilton.
The firm was established in 1933 and moved to its current first floor premises at 48 Cadzow Street in 1956. In the 1950s, the then partners of JJD, in a joint venture with the bank, extended the bank branch and created JJD’s offices. That has served them well for over 60 years. The refurbishment work has taken several months, with the new office space opening on the same day the government put the country in lockdown as a result of Covid-19 on 23 March.
The interconnecting doors between the premises have been re-opened. The bank premises needed extensive renovation and alterations, taking about four months. For the first time, the firm now has a ground floor reception area, meeting rooms and work spaces, improving access for disabled and elderly clients. They have also taken the opportunity to install new equipment and systems to improve energy efficiency and reduce their carbon footprint. They have also taken the opportunity to modernise the front of the building by opening it up – allowing natural light to flood the downstairs office and give it a warm and bright feel.
Private Client Director, Pauline Milligan is delighted with progress and commented: “The new ground floor access and meeting rooms are a game-changer and will make it much easier to consult with those clients who find it difficult managing our stairs. Visiting a solicitor can often be a daunting experience, but we hope that the new bright and welcoming offices will help put people at ease when discussing often sensitive or distressing matters. We look forward to welcoming both new and existing clients to our expanded offices.”
Managing Director, Euan Stirrat, has worked at 48 Cadzow Street since arriving as an apprentice in 1976. He added: “I’ve seen many changes to the building over the years and this expansion into the former bank premises will enhance John Jackson & Dick’s profile on Cadzow Street as one of Hamilton’s longest established law practices.”
As well as the expansion into the former bank building, John Jackson & Dick have recruited two new solicitors to assist with their expanding private client and conveyancing business:
- Lucy Conn arrives from Curle Stewart in Glasgow
- Paula Speirs joins from Davidson & Shirley in Lanark
They join Director, Kenneth Miller, Litigation Associate, John Gildea and Commercial Associate, Jonathan Findlay as well as Consultant, Charles Bow, who transferred to the firm in November 2018 after the acquisition of Motherwell law firm, Marshall Ross & Munro. With an office in Strathaven, which Director, Kenneth Miller and Paula Speirs both cover, and a terrific support team including an Executry Paralegal, an experienced secretarial team and two cash room staff, their number has increased to 16.
As for now, although their offices are closed to the public due to Covid-19, the firm’s solicitors continue to be available to provide advice to clients, old and new and, with the wonders of technology, it is pretty much business as usual with the solicitors available to consult by phone, video call or email on Wills, Powers of Attorney, property, both residential and commercial, litigation and much, much more.
In a statement issued by the firm, they offer their thanks for the support they’ve received: “We would like to thank Business Gateway, South Lanarkshire Council, Hamilton BID, and Resource Efficient Scotland / Energy Savings Trust for their guidance and financial assistance in respect of the project.”
Please call: 01698 281747 (Hamilton) or 01357 522959 (Strathaven)
Thanks for reading.