The Town House is a Category “A” listed building of Edwardian Baroque Style. The building combines three linked structures individually constructed and separately opened in 1907 (Carnegie Library), 1914 (Town House) and 1928 (Town Hall). The Town House underwent a £9m refurbishment with support from the Heritage Lottery Fund, Scottish Arts Council, and Historic Scotland.
The Town House re-opened as a multi purpose Arts Venue in 2004 and is a five star arts venue under the Visit Scotland grading scheme. It has facilities capable of hosting performances, weddings and social events, arts classes and courses, conferences and meetings as well as promoting varied arts and cultural events programme.
The Town House hosts a variety of performances, from West End productions and national companies through to local amateur groups.